10.24.2011

What Seems to Be the Problem Officer?


I have my fair share of funny pull-over stories--  like the time my friend and I got stopped leaving a high school football game just so the officer could find out the score.  Or the time a cop was ready to take me down to the station since he was convinced I was a runaway from Texas-- until he looked up a picture of the girl and realized she was African-American.

But this one is one of my favorites...

Last Saturday night we were driving to the store half an hour before midnight (because we’ve been so busy lately that that’s the only way we could get our grocery shopping done) and Greg says, “Hey! I think that was a rabbit! Not a wild rabbit…but one like you'd see at the county fair!” 

"A bunny?!" I said. 

He stopped, backed up, and shined the headlights to the side of the road where crouched near a rock wall there was indeed a floppy-eared, black and white "domesticated rabbit."

We rushed through our shopping, drove home, and when we got close to the area where the bunny had been, Greg slowed down and shined his headlights to the opposite side of the road so we could look for it. Suddenly, red and blue lights were flashing in the rearview mirror.

Greg pulls over, and the officer comes up to the window.  "How are you doing, officer?"  Greg said.

“The reason I pulled you over tonight is because I noticed that you drifted to the side of your lane a couple of times. We keep our eye out for impaired drivers," the policeman said. 

“I don’t drink, Officer,” Greg—decked out in his BYU hat and shirt—replies.“The reason I may have drifted was because we saw what looked like someone's pet rabbit on the side of the road earlier and we don’t want it to freeze. We were looking for it so we could take it in for the night.”

I am still dying to know what went through the officer’s mind at that moment.

“Ok. Have a good night,” he said.

We found the bunny right where Greg had seen it and quietly got out of the car.That chubby bunny was a lot faster than he looked! He hopped up the driveway of a nearby house and into the carport...and we decided it was probably best not to add trespassing to our story.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

you two are so cute!! lol that poor officer. trying to be all legit. You blindsided him with your bunny tale. :)

Also, We really should get together soon. How are you guys doing??

Mandy and Nate said...

That is funny. Love it..